The Isle of Axholme originally comprised of the eight parishes of: Althorpe, Belton, Crowle, Epworth, Haxey, Luddington, Owston and Wroot. During the mid-nineteenth century however, four of the original eight parishes were split and new parishes created, bringing the total number to twelve.
The new parishes were:
Amcotts, created in 1850 from part of Althorpe.
Eastoft, created in 1855 from part of Crowle.
Garthorpe, created in 1866 from part of Luddington.
West Butterwick, created in 1841 from part of Owston.